CTY works with the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) regarding visa and immigration matters. Send all questions about visas and immigration status to OIS at ois@jhu.edu. Please use this email address only for visa/immigration-related questions. Read all materials sent to you from OIS, including this FAQ, before sending individual questions. Allow up to five business days for a response from OIS. 


Can my child study at CTY on a B-1/B-2 visitor visa or under the Visa Waiver Program? 

No. CTY summer programs are full-time academic programs requiring the F-1 student visa. They are not summer camps and the student should not use a visitor’s visa or the Visa Waiver Program to enter the U.S. for study. 


Does my child need an F-1 student visa to attend CTY Summer Programs? 

Yes. Students who are not already in the U.S. with an immigration status that allows for study must request an I-20 from the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) and then obtain a nonimmigrant F-1 student visa. 

For Information for citizens of Canada or Bermuda or students already holding a valid F-1 visa, review the Special Visa Circumstances section of this FAQ. 


Can my child use their F-1 student visa to travel outside the U.S. and then return after completing the CTY program, even within 60 days? 

No. Your child may stay in the U.S. for up to 60 days after their program is over but they may not travel outside the U.S. and return using the JHU I-20. This includes any travel to Canada or Mexico. If your child wishes to travel outside the U.S. and return after completing the CTY program, they must present a valid B-1/B-2 visitor visa to the border official or qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. Contact ois@jhu.edu for guidance if you have any questions. 


How early can my child enter the U.S. with the F-1 visa for CTY study? 
 Students may enter up to 30 days before the “Program Start Date” as it appears on their I-20.  F-1 students may not enter the U.S. prior to the “Earliest Admission Date” stated on their I-20, which is 30 days before the “Program Start Date.” The U.S. border official should deny entry to students who attempt to enter any earlier than the “Earliest Admission Date.” Also, ensure your child does not use the Visa Waiver Program, B-1/B-2 visa, or any visa other than the F-1 student visa to enter the U.S. 


How long can my child stay in the U.S. with their F-1 student visa after completing the CTY program? 

Your child may stay in the U.S. for up to 60 days after their CTY program is complete. However, the child may not depart and reenter the U.S. during this time. Contact ois@jhu.edu for guidance if you have any questions. 


I already received my child’s I-20 but my child changed from one CTY site to a different CTY site. What do I do? 

If the location for your child’s CTY site has changed (as noted in the comments section of the I-20) but the dates of the program have not changed, the child does not need a new I-20 and can use the existing I-20. JHU’s Office of International Services (OIS) will send you an email to acknowledge the change to the site but will not send a new I-20. In addition, CTY will upload a new course registration assignment letter to your child’s MyCTY account. 


I already received my child’s I-20 but they are now attending a different session of CTY than noted on the I-20 (i.e., changed from session 1 to session 2 or from session 2 to session 1). What do I do? 

Take immediate action. If the session dates have changed, even if you are attending the same location, OIS must issue a new I-20.  After receiving your child’s new course registration assignment letter via MyCTY, you must contact ois@jhu.edu to request an updated I-20 containing the new program dates. 


I already received my I-20 but my child is now attending both CTY sessions 1 and 2. What do I do? 

  • If your child added session 1 to session 2, take immediate action. Notify OIS at ois@jhu.edu. OIS must issue a new I-20 


If your child added session 2 to session 1, you must contact ois@jhu.edu to request an extension of your child’s I-20. OIS will process the I-20 extension after the student has arrived in the U.S. The new I-20 will be emailed to email address on file with OIS and the child should print the I-20 at their CTY site. 


I received my child’s I-20 but the name or date of birth is entered incorrectly. What do I do? 
Contact the JHU Office of International Services (OISimmediately to correct the error on your I-20. 


May my child use photocopies of his or her travel documents when entering the U.S.? 

No. Ensure the student carries all required original travel documents—including the original form I-20 and their passport with the F-1 visa stamp in it—with him/her to present at the U.S. immigration inspection point. If your child receives an electronic I-20, you should print and sign it so they can carry a paper version with them when they travel. DO NOT PACK THESE DOCUMENTS IN CHECKED LUGGAGE. Photocopies of travel documents cannot be used to cross the U.S. border.  


What to do if you completed a request for an I-20 via my iHopkins account but have not received a response from the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) 

Before contacting OIS, please verify these steps: 

  • Check your spam email folder for the email from OIS (ois@jhu.edu) that confirms successful completion and submission of the I-20 request. If you received the confirmation email, please 

- add OIS to your contact list; and 

- allow at least two weeks before contacting OIS for an update on processing of your I-20. 

  • If you do not see a confirmation email from OIS in your spam email folder, please 

- log in to your iHopkins account to verify that you have completed all the required fields, uploaded the required documents, and selected the “submit” button. 

  • If you have correctly completed all requirements above and still have not received a confirmation email, there may be a system problem. Please contact ois@jhu.edu and inquire about the status of your I-20. 


My child currently has a B-1/B-2 visa. Will this visa be canceled after my child applies for an F-1 student visa? 

No. Any existing B-1/B-2 visa remains valid for the time printed on the visa stamp. The student must still apply for a separate F-1 student visa for study at CTY. When entering the U.S. for their CTY program, the student must present the F-1 student visa to the border official, NOT the B-1/B-2 visa. 


My child has a valid F-1 Visa from previous study in the U.S. (including F-1 visas for former CTY students). Does my child need new documents (F-1 visa, I-20 Form, SEVIS)? 

You may use a valid F-1 visa from previous study. However, you must obtain a new I-20 for this year’s CTY program, and you must pay a new SEVIS fee at fmjfee.com to use the new I-20. 


My child holds dual citizenship in two foreign countries. Which country do I choose? 

It is your choice, but you must select which passport the student will use for his/her I-20 request, F-1 visa application, and entry into the U.S. OIS can only list one country of citizenship on the I-20. Note: if one country has better diplomatic relations with the U.S. than the other country, you may want to choose that country’s passport. 


My child is a CTY student from Canada or Bermuda. Does my child need to obtain an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate? 

No. Citizens of Canada and Bermuda (not including Canadian Landed Immigrants) do not need to obtain an actual visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate to attend CTY. However, they must still: 

  • Obtain an I-20. 
  • Pay the SEVIS fee. 
  •  Have a passport valid for at least 6 more months at the time of entry  
  • Upon entry to the U.S., students from Canada or Bermuda must present their passport, original I-20 form, original financial documentation, and SEVIS fee receipt to the U.S. border official, and specifically request entry to the U.S. as an F-1 student. 

Do not enter as a B-1/B-2 visitor or under the Visa Waiver Program, as these are not appropriate immigration statuses for participation in CTY summer programs. 


My child is a U.S. citizen and a citizen of another country. Does my child need a visa? 

No. Per U.S. law, students who qualify as U.S. Citizens must use a U.S. passport to enter and depart the U.S. even if they also hold dual citizenship in another country. 


My child is currently studying in the U.S. in F-1 status. Does my child need a new I-20? 

Maybe. If your child will be returns to their current school after CTY, your child does not need a new I-20. Please submit a letter to ois@jhu.edu from your child’s current school stating that the child will be returning there to study after their CTY program, and that the current school understands your child will be participating in CTY classes this summer. 

If your child will not be returning to their current school after CTY, contact the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) at ois@jhu.edu to discuss your case. 


My child is going directly from CTY to another program of study in the U.S. What do I need to do? 

Your child should receive their first I-20 from JHU and then you can request a transfer of your child’s F-1 record from JHU to the next program. Please contact the JHU Office of International Services at ois@jhu.edu for details.  


My child’s passport is currently expired. Can I submit a request for my child’s I-20 before renewing the passport? 

Yes, you can begin the I-20 request process using your child’s current expired passport. However, you must renew your child’s passport as soon as possible and before your child’s appointment at the U.S. embassy/consulate.  In general, their passport should be valid for 6 months beyond their expected period of stay in the U.S.  


What amount is required as proof of my financial ability to pay for CTY costs in support of my child’s I-20 request? 

This varies by student, but must cover the amount of all CTY fees for your child’s summer course. You can find the fees listed on your CTY invoice. If the child will not be living on campus, provide proof for an additional $1,500 for living expenses for each session that your child attends. 

What are the passport requirements to apply for an F-1 student visa for study at CTY? 

The child’s passport must be valid for at least 6 more months at the time of entry to the U.S. For all U.S. immigration purposes, use your child’s name exactly as it appears in the child’s passport. Your child’s name on all documents should be identical (passport, visa, I-20). 


What is a DS-160 Application Form? 

The DS-160 is the on-line U.S. non-immigrant visa application. Filling out the electronic DS-160 is the first step of the visa application process with the U.S. embassy/consulate. Completing the DS-160 application requires payment of the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee. After you submit the application, you can sign up for the visa interview. 


What is CTY’s refund policy in case a student visa application is denied? 

Denial rates are very small and are governed by U.S. law and practice. In case a student visa is denied at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate and you do not wish to reapply (and pay corresponding visa fees), a refund of payments to CTY will be granted in accordance with CTY's refund policy. Neither the Johns Hopkins Office of International Services (OIS) nor CTY control this. CTY does not refund any visa expenses. If your visa is denied and you wish to reapply, contact ois@jhu.edu to discuss your case. 


What is JHU’s F-1 school code? 

JHU’s F-1 school code is BAL214F00051000. 


What is the SEVIS Fee, or SEVIS I-901 Fee? 

The SEVIS Fee is a $350 fee charged to applicants for F-1 student visas. You must pay this fee after the I-20 is issued but before you schedule a visa appointment at the U.S. embassy/consulate. Instructions on the payment of this fee are included in an email from the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) at the time the I-20 is issued. 

Note: Print the receipt when you pay this fee. More information (including reprint of SEVIS receipt) is available at fmjfee.com. The SEVIS Fee is different from the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) application fee paid with the DS-160 visa application. 


What should I do if there are problems at the border? 

Remain calm. Students will first pass through primary inspection. Many individuals are sent to secondary inspection for clarification of issues that arise in primary inspection. Even if the student is sent to secondary inspection, the border officers will try to resolve the problem and admit the student as quickly as possible. 

Students who have problems at the border may ask the border official to call the JHU Office of International Services (OIS) with questions. 

  • Call +1-667-208-7001 during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) 
  • Call +1-443-240-1938 outside regular office hours for emergencies at the U.S. port of entry only. 


When do I make my child’s visa appointment? 
 Make the visa appointment for your child at the U.S. embassy/consulate nearest you AFTER you have the I-20 in your possession. You will also need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee fmjfee.com before making your visa appointment. 


Whose name do I list under “U.S. Contact” when I complete my child’s DS-160 visa application? 

Enter the name of the OIS staff member who signed your child’s I-20. 


Why does my child’s I-20 have a school name and address different from the name of the college and site address listed on my child’s CTY course registration assignment letter? 

JHU is the sponsor of your child’s F-1 student visa, and all I-20s issued by JHU’s Office of International Services (OIS) include the JHU name and address in Baltimore. However, your child is attending the college or campus listed on your CTY course registration assignment letter and entered under the “Remarks” section of your child’s I-20.